I have tried to make my own little mark in this world. My career as a Medical Educator and Clinician in Gastroenterology (see www.gastroindia.net) and my flirtations with Health Promotion, especially amongst school children (see www.hope.org.in) are shown elsewhere.This blog contains my attempts at creative writing, most being write-ups for Health Adda column of HT City of Hindustan Times (also see www.healthaddaindia.blogspot.com) as well as a few others, and some reflections and thoughts that have struck me from time to time on my life journey.Please leave your footprint on this blog with your comment.


Monday, March 5, 2012

Parents under Exam Stress!

How wired parents get when their stressed kids take the board exams showed up yet again when they went on a ruckus over a question that appeared in the English paper asking students to provide an imaginary account of a bomb blast in a crowded place. Opinion seemed sharply divided with some parents on edge calling it “insensitive”, while ex-students terming it contemporary and relevant.
Parents argued that stressed to the hilt that exam-goers are at these times, asking them to imagine and describe a gory scene of a bomb blast would add to their children’s distress. Could not the paper -setters’ think of pleasant topics that could soothe their raw nerves?
Some students garnered their parents’ sympathy and mentally cushion them in the event of a less than expected performance. “It is all the insensitive board’s fault!” is what they are chanting along with their parents, having found a convenient scapegoat should it be necessay when the results come in.
Successful ex-students and teachers however had a differnt take on this topic. If the English paper was to test thier linguistic skills, what was wrong in testing them on issues a bit beyond the text book? Why do students and their parents expect “smooth” questions that seek answers that can be provided by rote? Is that the best way to test linguistic skills? Why then do we have students with adeqaute decoratve degrees in English who cannot speak, write, describe or narrate anything beyond what Jack and Jill didon that fateful day?
 Mrs Bhargava, a young smart school teacher, surprised me with her response when I posed this issue to her. “Contrary to what w expect, students actually perform better when asked such unconventional questions”, she said. “I have seen students write much better essays on issues such as corruption, scams, terrorism or elections than they do on the old-world topics such as honesty, beauty, gratitude and valour”, she said, making me wonder if we are indeed being separated from our present-day kids by the proverbial generation gap.
While anxious parents do deserve as much sympathy as their stressed out exam going children, they have heaped more flak to the CBSE board than they deserved. To start with, the question was not a compulsory one; any stressed-out student could choose the other option. Further, describing vivid, albeit imaginary scenes is often easier and more scoring than writing on abstract issues. And if education is what we are all trying to provide, then touching on and creating awareness on “real” topics is a step in the right direction. The feelings of a bomb blast surviver are more relevant today than that of a ship-wrecked sailor of 2 centuries ago.
And if our 17 year olds need to be protected from exposure to horror and violence, they should not be watching Bollywood movies but reading fairy tales instead.
By seeing parents behave unreasonably under stress, as on this issue, students are likely to do much the same.
As published in HT City (Hindustan Times) dated 5 March, 2012.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sir,
    I am Amit Singh from Varanasi, grduated from IIT Roorkee and working with Microsoft in Hyderabad.
    I know this is not the right place to talk about my concerns but I was not able to find any other way to communicate.
    My mother, Sushama Singh, is suffering from abdominal problems since last 9 years. We got treatment from BHU, Apollo Delhi, Gangaram Delhi but no improvement. Somehow I came to know about you and coming to meet you on next monday. I want to request you in advance to please give your more thoughts on this case when I'll meet you.
    Thanks
    Amit, +91-7893102712, amits@microsoft.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dr G Choudhary Sir,

    Recently few days back, I gone through your article related to “Consuming stuff in colourful and white recycled plastic jars or cups can also be hazardous”. Also I found that drinking Tea in plastic cup can lead to Cancer. But sir, I am 25, and drinking my morning Tea in hard plastic cup since last 4 years. Now I stopped the same.
    Please could you tell me which type of cancer could be done by the same? And which I must go through for its confirmation?

    A line of acknowledgement will be highly appreciable.

    I shall look forward to hearing from you.

    Regards and best wishes,

    DEEPAK
    M.Tech. (Biotechnology)
    Mob: +919818902668

    ReplyDelete